MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

October 2006

From:
Mark Mcbride <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:57:41 -0400
Hi Sean,

Thanks alot. This makes sense to me for my use. Sometimes I'll be
running from the GUI to see what is going on but I'll also want to do
large parameter sweeps without visualization just gathering data.

For the large parameter sweeps the current plan is to write a script
that starts each parameter set as a different simulation run from the
command-line, ships each particular run to a node on our cluster,
output appropriate checkpoints, and then grab back the final results
and collate them for further analysis. The paramDB example gave me
ideas on how to go about getting the script to send a parameter set
to a simulation.

As to a suggestion about a parameter facility within the Mason
library, whether you'd want to add a facility probably depends on
what the main users of Mason are trying to do and/or whether adding
such a facility would attract a new class of users. As I'm sure
you're aware both RePast and NetLogo provide built-in facilities for
constructing parameter sweeps. I'm partial to specifying a parameter
file (ala Repast) that can be called to control a set of runs. Would
an expansion of your doLoop to handle that make sense?

Again, thank you for the good advice!

Mark