MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

September 2006

From:
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 2006 20:52:57 -0400
Hi Uwe.  The TransformedPortrayal3D class uses a Java3D Transform3D
object underneath, and you can replace the Transform3D as you see
fit. However if you're calling the scale() method built into the
class, you need to understand that these are further scaling the
*existing* scale -- that is, it's multiplying the scales. For
example, if you called scale(2,2,2), and then again called scale
(2,2,2), your total scaling will be of size 4.

Also, note that performing scales, rotations, and translations, are
called affine transformations, and are done internally with a 4 by 4
matrix. Each operation multiplies that matrix by a new matrix -- and
matrix multiplications are NOT commutative. You can't do a rotate
and then a scale and expect it to be the same as a scale followed by
a rotate (say).

Sean