MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

September 2006

From:
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:25:43 -0400
A great many agents have multiple phases -- one really common
situation is for all your agents to READ the world and then all of
them (in random order) to CHANGE the world, so you have a READ phase
and a WRITE phase for each agent. Of course, there are plenty of
other approaches too.

The problem you're discovering is that Steppables only have one step
() method. This was intentional; it reduces complexity of the system
internally. So how do you schedule an agent to, say, have its read()
method called at one time and its write() method to be called at a
different time? Easy: just use closures. Let's say your agent is
stored in a local variable called 'myAgent' and is of the class, erm,
'Agent'. And you want it scheduled repeating with read() happening
in ordering 0 and write() happening in ordering 1, every timestep.
Then you could do this:

final Agent ag = myAgent;
schedule.scheduleRepeating(new Steppable() { public void step()
{ ag.read(); } }, 0);
schedule.scheduleRepeating(new Steppable() { public void step()
{ ag.write(); } }, 1);

Sean