ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

January 2006

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:07:21 -0000
From:
"Dignum, Stephen A N" <[log in to unmask]>
Hi,

I'm working through some of the GP examples in the apps directory. All work fine until I start to up the population size (doubling to 2048). I then get an out-of-memory error.

To get around this I increase the standard java memory parameters (Xmx, Xms, XX: etc), This works but if I then increase the number of generations past about 65 I get a sudden reduction in performance which isn't due to increase in program size i.e. number of nodes stays about the same. There may be a large increase in program depth but from my understanding of how ECJ works (by looking through the code!) it is the number of nodes that effects performance not depth.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening or any tweaks that I can implement to speed the process?

I forgot to say I'm running on two reasonably fast PCs with Windows installations of Java.

Regards

Stephen Dignum