VSE-FACULTY-L Archives

May 2017

VSE-FACULTY-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
"Stephen G. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen G. Nash
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2017 16:45:57 +0000
List of Announcements (details below):

*         This Week at the Volgenau School

*         VSE in the News

*         Photo of the Week

*         Upcoming Events at the Volgenau School

*         Jessica Lin Receives Funding from Strategic Analysis & NRL

*         Nitin Agrawal Receives Funding from NSF

My regular announcements will appear less frequently over the summer, and four of the features (This Week at the Volgenau School, VSE in the News, Photo of the Week, Upcoming Events at the Volgenau School) will come and go.   But there are other ways to get information about the Volgenau School.

Attending a conference? Doing fieldwork somewhere far away? Social media is the quick, easy, and portable way to keep in touch with what's happening here at the school.  Wherever you go, whatever you do this summer, use your smartphone or tablet share your stories and pictures on our social media platforms Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/The-Volgenau-School-of-Engineering-at-George-Mason-University-27375939949/>, Twitter<https://twitter.com/VolgenauSchool>, and Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/volgenauschool/>.

This Week at the Volgenau School

The semester is over, and for many that also means the academic year is over.  The summer sessions start today, but the rhythm of the year changes.  The campus is less crowded, many faculty spend the summer on research, and things slow down - at least a little.

There's a chance to step back from the day-to-day demands and think about long-term plans or major improvements.  There's also a chance to stroll around the campus and let your mind wander.

One of the things I'll be thinking about is marketing.  Tomorrow is the presentation of the branding report that we commissioned.  With that in place, we will begin planning our first marketing activities.  I expect them to roll out later this year.

Another topic on my mind will be how we manage the continued growth of the School.  We've been doing this on an ad hoc basis up to now.  But many of us have come to realize that for the Volgenau School, growth is a constant.  As part of our annual cycle we need to be thinking about enrollment projections, faculty hiring, staff hiring, and space.  This semester Art Pyster & I worked with a student group from Systems Engineering & Operations Research Department on a growth model for the School.  The students (Noran Abraham, James Lee, and Christopher Murri) presented their results to the Provost on Friday.  We expect to have another student group expand on their work in the Fall, and we have a commitment for support from the university administration.

But I'm not thinking too much about either of these topics right now.  On Friday I go on vacation, a biking trip.  As I cycle through the countryside, the scenery will be my highest priority.

See you when I get back.

VSE in the News

Here is a list of news stories about VSE that have been posted:

Beyond Mason:

*         Communications Daily: Karla Hoffman is quoted in an article Incentive auction was inefficient, Broadcasters paying price, Padden says.<http://communicationsdaily.com/search/public>

On the Mason news site (https://www2.gmu.edu/news)

*         Constant vigilance needed to avoid future cyber attacks<https://www2.gmu.edu/news/425226>. Tip sheet about recent cyber attack in Europe quotes Max Albanese.

*         Class of 2017: She'll go her own way to give back<https://www2.gmu.edu/news/424861>. Erin Schulte, bioengineering, recipient of the 2016 Provost Scholar Athlete Award plans to become a physician's assistant.

*         Honoring faculty excellence.<https://www2.gmu.edu/news/425081> Jill Nelson's teaching excellence will be recognized at George Mason University Commencement.

On the Volgenau site (https://volgenau.gmu.edu/news/latest-news)

*         Students pitch winning idea at annual competition.<https://volgenau.gmu.edu/news/424891> The H2knOw team formed by four Volgenau students, Wesley Pierce (CEIE), Joshua Messmer (CEIE), Ali Elsawaf (CEIE), and Priya Pelluru (IST), won second place ($500) at the Pitch IT 2017<http://lite.gmu.edu/pitch-it.html> competition held on April 22, 2017.

*         Karl Reid to speak at Volgenau School of Engineering Degree Celebration<https://volgenau.gmu.edu/news/424866>. Article links to a copy of Reid's speech. View a video of the Degree Celebration.<https://vimeopro.com/gmutv/commencement2017/video/218195472>

If you have suggestions for other stories, please submit them to Martha Bushong, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Photo of the Week

[cid:image001.png@01D2D2F9.59976770]
Laurence Bray, associate chair, Bioengineering, poses with grads at the Volgenau School of Engineering Degree Celebration. (Photo by Evan Cantwell/Creative Services/George Mason University.)

Upcoming Events at the Volgenau School

Whether you're looking for a specific event or browsing, our calendar lets you know what's happening at Volgenau. Here is a sample of what's coming in the next several weeks. For more information visit our calendar<https://volgenau.gmu.edu/events#/?i=1> on the web. From this page you can share the event on social media, get updates, forward to friends, or save it to your own calendar.

May 24, 9:00 a.m. - GMU - AFCEA Symposium
May 25, 1:00 p.m. - Digital Forensics Symposium
June 3, 8:00 a.m.  - Workshop: "Teaching Critical thinking skills in Science with sinvestigator"
June 3, 9:00 a.m. - STEM Project CSGirls events

Jessica Lin Receives Funding from Strategic Analysis & NRL

Jessica Lin of the Computer Science Department received $51K from Strategic Analysis, Inc. and the Naval Research Laboratory for her project, "Trajectory Pattern Mining and user Behaviour Characterization on Large-Scale Track Data."

Nitin Agrawal Receives Funding from NSF

Nitin Agrawal of the Bioengineering Department received $307K from the National Science Foundation for his project, "Eager: Biomanufacturing: Liposome mediated targeted expansion and stimulation of CD8+ cytotoxic T-cells."

Stephen G. Nash
Senior Associate Dean
Volgenau School of Engineering
George Mason University