VSE-FACULTY-L Archives

January 2018

VSE-FACULTY-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
"Stephen G. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen G. Nash
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2018 19:14:40 +0000
List of Announcements (details below):

*         This Week at the Volgenau School

*         VSE in the News

*         Photo of the Week

*         Upcoming Events at the Volgenau School

*         Graduate Admissions: Fast-Track Admissions, Spring Orientation

*         Funding Opportunity:  Advanced Laboratories for Analysis of Sensors (Air Force)

*         Paul Ammann Receives Funding from MITRE

*         Kuo Tian Receives Funding from Environmental Research & Education Foundation [correction]

This Week at the Volgenau School

The Spring semester starts next week, and as usual we are eager to know about our enrollment.  Up until recently and the advent of the new budget model, we used to only worry about our overall enrollment.  As long as the number of credit hours was big enough, we were fine.  We had a simple enrollment target for the School, and we always met it.  Because many of the enrollments come just as the semester is about to start, there could still be some drama, but it wasn't complicated.

Under the new budget model we care about revenue, not just credit hours.  There is a big difference in tuition revenue between a PhD students supported as a GTA, an undergraduate student from Virginia, and an out-of-state MS student.  As a result we are tracking more information, and trying to manage a variety of different student populations.  It will be several weeks before we get final data, but the data on admissions give some insights.

In Fall 2017 we saw drops in international enrollments in our MS programs, although there were increases in the number of students from Virginia.  Since international students pay out-of-state tuition, this led to a significant drop in our tuition revenue.  What do things look like for Spring 2018 and Fall 2018?  Let me focus here on graduate applications.

For Spring 2018 we currently estimate that we will have 222 new graduate students, of which 193 are MS students and 20 are PhD students.  (The rest are students in graduate certificates, but these numbers are small and I won't be discussing them.)  This compares with 188 new students in Spring 2017, and 210 in Spring 2016.

The data on PhD students are gratifying.  The 20 new students in Spring 2018 compare to 13 last year and 10 two years ago.  We've significantly improved out funding offers to PhD students, and it seems that that is helping turn around what had been a multi-year drop in PhD enrollments.  If you look at new international PhD students, we have gone from 5 two years ago to 8 last year to 13 this year, a good result.  Unfortunately we are seeing drops in the number of new international MS students compared to two years ago (42 in 2016, 24 in 2017, 34 in 2018).

Far more people apply for the Fall semester than for the Spring semester, so let me give some information about Fall 2018 enrollments, although this is more speculative at this early date.  Many local applicants will not apply for many months.

Comparing applications today to the same day in prior years, we are seeing significant drops in the number of applications.  We have received 897 graduate applications so far compared with 947 in 2017 and 1085 in 2016.  The drops are all at the MS level, while PhD applications are better (195 in 2018, 195 in 2017, 145 in 2016).

In fact, the drops can mostly be attributed to international applications at the MS level.  We have received 495 such applications so far, compared with 552 in 2017 and 708 in 2016.  Virginia applications to our MS programs are up (120 in 2018, 66 in 2016), as are Virginia PhD applications (24 in 2018, 15 in 2016) and international PhD applications (140 in 2018, 27 in 2016).

All of this indicates that we need to pay attention to graduate recruitment, particularly at the MS level.  This is a topic that I have written about in the past, and that will continue to be a focus in the months ahead.

VSE in the News

Here is a list of news stories about VSE that have been posted:

On the Mason news page (https://www2.gmu.edu/news):

*         Online IT master's program leads a Mason surge in U.S. News rankings<https://www2.gmu.edu/news/494716>. The Information Science and Technology Department's online master's program is tied for 23rd nationally by U.S. News & World Report in its just-released assessment of online master's programs, a jump of 13 spots from 2017.

On the Mason Engineering news page (https://volgenau.gmu.edu/news/latest-news):

*         Exploring the mysteries of deep learning.<https://volgenau.gmu.edu/news/494751> Senior Associate Dean Stephen Nash shares thoughts about the science of deep learning. The article originally appeared in Nash's "This Week at the Volgenau School" column.

*         Mason's robotics team places ninth, wins design award at a competition in China.<https://volgenau.gmu.edu/news/494946> The group placed ninth out of about 19 university teams at the Asia Open VEX U Robotics Competition in Suzhou, China at the end of December.

If you have suggestions for other stories, please submit them to Martha Bushong, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Photo of the Week

[cid:image001.png@01D38ED4.57948B00]

Engineers for International Development (EfID) finished their first model home for low-income families in Nicaragua. (Photo courtesy of EfID)

Upcoming Events at the Volgenau School

Whether you're looking for a specific event or browsing, our calendar lets you know what's happening at the school. Here is a sample of what's coming in the next several weeks. For more information visit our calendar<https://volgenau.gmu.edu/events#/?i=1> on the web. From this page you can share the event on social media, get updates, forward to friends, or save it to your own calendar.

January 26, 12:00 p.m. - Bioengineering 800 Seminars, Research Hall 163. One of a series of Seminars hosted by the Department of Bioengineering.
January 27, 8:00 a.m. - Washington Apple Pi, Exploratory Hall L003.

Whether you're looking for a specific event or browsing, our calendar lets you know what's happening at the school. Here is a sample of what's coming in the next several weeks. For more information visit our calendar<https://volgenau.gmu.edu/events#/?i=1> on the web. From this page, you can share the event on social media, get updates, forward to friends, or save it to your own calendar.

For information about getting your event posted visit this page.<http://scheduling.gmu.edu/>

Graduate Admissions: Fast-Track Admissions, Spring Orientation

Below are several news items from the Mason Engineering Graduate Admissions office.

Alumni Fast-Track

Mason Engineering alumni who have shown exemplary work in their undergraduate degree can apply through our Fast-Track Graduate Admissions process without the need to submit supplemental materials. The process requires submission of the online application and fee. Students will only be required to upload transcripts for institutions they may have attended after graduating from Mason.
We encourage you and your faculty to spread the word to your juniors and seniors about this unique benefit to former students interested in pursuing a master's degree. Current undergraduates within one semester of graduation with a 3.0 GPA or better can also apply.
Individual program requirements, admission guidelines and procedures are available on our website: https://volgenau.gmu.edu/admissions/graduate-admissions/fast-track-graduate-admissions

Corporate Fast-Track

We're proud of our relationship with our corporate partners. Many of our partners have employees looking to further their education for professional and/or personal reasons. Employees of any of our corporate partners can take advantage of the Corporate Fast-Track Graduate Admissions process and apply to any of our graduate programs at the masters, certificate or non-degree level.
We're taking steps to reach out to our partners to advertise this opportunity to their employees.
Admission guidelines and procedures are available on our website: https://volgenau.gmu.edu/admissions/graduate-admissions/corporate-fast-track-admissions

Spring 2018 Orientation Page

This year, our new spring admits will receive a special communication with access to our new orientation page next week. The page is a one-stop information hub on resources available to our graduate students. It will be available to new students until add/drop.

Funding Opportunity:  Advanced Laboratories for Analysis of Sensors (Air Force)

Opportunity Title: RFP -- Amendment -- Advanced Laboratories for Analysis of Sensors (ALAS)
Sponsor: Department of the Air Force
Sponsor Number: FA8650-17-S-1009
Deadline Date: 09-Feb-2018
Sponsor Website: https://secure-web.cisco.com/1LgmK5YIJ0RwxM4Ksl0CaFRTn1dZht_FMFg5ZktCwkERCmA_zj5dp_rXr9E1DmWgSZ0TF_0RY74zf8_C-hrlkKyazQQaPCjQsXB9h0g41anSIqw1q6tLDOJ5I1-8_gBkYbGexMeoBESktsRYszgDRjV61dA2L10l1_dtiHn6Y3gxmmfU9pbS5zjT-OuuV8vCm76SChZU8pZcsPp7oOpyfA0uDqUCn1_B2kafqisr7c8RsXb-M3mard9_7WExNu5L-RZpPS8RjoLgVt3XI-uxcRpMMziMEwEk92PwV8U-tpQ9lcjVe5wLgeCUwDKOOjXAZ3p-WbEK0ArasYZ2_bZYE5GqQBL1CdmBDnv9oJMJ_uglYdOLbOgv1Lc3hpbg4OzYEwsllKYS68sSn44rdiXnKSQ/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fbo.gov%2Findex%3Fs%3Dopportunity%26mode%3Dform%26id%3De99d642c8ab15b39ddd1616d0d720879%26tab%3Dcore%26_cview%3D1

Synopsis: The objective of the ALAS program focuses on the development of innovative technological solutions to enhance Radio Frequency (RF) system technologies and sensors along with advancing test measurement techniques and methods. In addition, this program focuses on AFRL/RY range and laboratory techniques and enhancements that are necessary to meet cutting edge and emerging warfighter needs.&nbsp; As this program encompasses a broad range of research and development (R&D) activities and leverages multiple disciplines, completion of these objectives will include application of existing techniques and/or the development of new techniques in modeling, simulation, design, data collection, calibration, test and evaluation of sensor systems and subsystems.

Paul Ammann Receives Funding from MITRE

Paul Ammann of the Computer Science Department received $34K from the MITRE Corportation for his project, "Automated Test Decision Framework."

Kuo Tian Receives Funding from Environmental Research & Education Foundation [correction]

Kuo Tian of the Sid and Reva Dewberry Department of Civil, Environmental, and Infrastructure Engineering received $150K from the Environmental Research & Education Foundation for his project, "Liner Systems for Aggressive Leachates from Coal-Fired Power Plant Wastes."

[The original announcement sent by the Office of Sponsored Programs had the wrong affiliation for Kuo Tian.]

Stephen G. Nash
Senior Associate Dean
Volgenau School of Engineering
George Mason University