VSE-FACULTY-L Archives

February 2021

VSE-FACULTY-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

From:
Arthur B Pyster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2021 21:03:14 +0000
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> cc: Terri Ann Mancini <[log in to unmask]>, Kimberly A Goodwin-Slater <[log in to unmask]>, Elizabeth Picard Dean <[log in to unmask]>
All,

Research performance continues to recover slowly from COVID impacts and will likely be bumpy for a while longer.

Expenditures:  For each of the last four months, rolling 12-month expenditures have climbed, but we are not yet back to our previous performance. We expended $59.1M for the last 12 months ending 31 December 2020, compared to $67.5M for the 12 months ending 31 December 2019. Our young CYSE Department has had $118K in expenditures in its first four months of reporting. 12-month rolling expenditures in CEIE, LARC, ME, SEOR, and the Dean’s Office were all higher than a year ago. As a point of information, one faculty member moved from IST to the Dean’s Office last year, which has lowered IST’s research totals and raised the Dean’s.

Awards: For the last 12 months ending 31 December 2020, awards of $71M were up almost 3% from 31 December 2019, but far from our record $90.1M set in April 2019. They rose from a year ago in CSIS, CARE, ECE, Statistics, SEOR, and the Dean’s Office. SEOR set a record.

Proposals: For the last 12 months ending 31 December 2020, proposals were down significantly from a year ago, but, as reported previously, there was a mammoth proposal submitted in May 2019 from what is now RPRC that skews the numbers. CS, CARE, ME, Statistics, and the Dean’s Office all rose from a year ago. CS and Statistics both set records for their rolling 12-month totals.

Indirect: For the last 12 months ending 31 December 2020, indirect rose 3.4% from 31 December 2019. For the last 4 months, the rolling 12-month totals have varied between $6.5M and $6.9M. RPRC, which separated from C4I&Cyber in June 2019, continues to grow the amount of indirect it generates, recording $1.9M over the last 12 months.

Regards.

Dr. Art Pyster
Associate Dean for Research and Professor
Volgenau School of Engineering
George Mason University
703-717-8110