VSE-FACULTY-L Archives

February 2013

VSE-FACULTY-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

From:
Michele Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2013 13:42:14 -0500
Computer Science Colloquium: Solving the Search for Source Code

Thursday, February 28, 2013
10:00am-11:00am
Nguyen Engineering 4201
Kathryn Stolee

Abstract

Programmers frequently use keyword searches to find source code in large
repositories. However, to do this effectively, programmers must specify
keyword queries that capture implementation details of their desired code. I
propose that code search should be about behavior, not about keywords.

In this talk, I will present an approach to code search that allows
programmers to provide inputs and outputs that define the behavior of their
desired code. This approach indexes source code repositories by symbolically
analyzing the programs and program fragments and transforming them into
constraints representing their behavior. Results are identified using an SMT
solver, which, given an input/output specification and the constraint
representation of a program fragment, determines if the fragment matches the
desired behavior. While promoting code reuse, my approach enables reuse
where it was not possible before: the constraints can be relaxed,
identifying code that approximately matches the specification. Further, the
solver can then guide the instantiation of the code to produce the desired
behavior. I will illustrate the generality of the approach by showing its
instantiation in subsets of three languages, the Java String library, Yahoo!
Pipes mashups, and SQL select statements. I will conclude by sharing my
vision for new research directions related to this semantic approach to code
search.

Speakers Bio

Kathryn Stolee is a Ph.D. candidate and NSF Graduate Research Fellow in the
Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of
Nebraska-Lincoln. She has been awarded an ESEM Distinguished Paper Award and
two departmental outstanding research awards. Her research is in software
engineering with a focus on program analysis. Extracting useful information
from software artifact repositories is a broad theme of her research, most
recently through semantic code search.