MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

May 2015

From:
Marshall Abrams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2015 00:16:12 -0500
> Marshall, we are indeed proposing extensions to MASON for selected JVM-based languages as part of an NSF proposal which is still pending.  I'm interested in what your performance results are (command line only, no GUI) compared to the raw Java version.  You might also try tutorial 1 and compare it to the Scheme version (in sim/app/scheme) and the Java version.

Great.  Thanks Sean. At this point, I'm not trying for speed.  I did things in my Clojure code that I'm pretty sure weren't going to make things as fast as possible, but which made the code clearer, for example.  I was happy to get it to work, and didn't worry about performance.  My Clojure version of the students app is indeed a lot slower than the Java version, it appears.

Is this what you want to see?:

Clojure:
java -cp ../../resources/mason.18.jar:../students-0.1.0-SNAPSHOT-standalone.jar:. students/Students -time 1000
MASON Version 18.  For further options, try adding ' -help' at end.
Job: 0 Seed: 749994633
Job 0: Steps: 999 Time: 998 Rate: 92.47431
Job 0: Steps: 1998 Time: 1997 Rate: 112.20937
Job 0: Steps: 2997 Time: 2996 Rate: 113.32955
Job 0: Steps: 3996 Time: 3995 Rate: 113.34241
Job 0: Steps: 4995 Time: 4994 Rate: 113.35527
Job 0: Steps: 5994 Time: 5993 Rate: 112.79214

Java:
java -cp ../../resources/mason.18.jar:. students/Students -time 1000
MASON Version 18.  For further options, try adding ' -help' at end.
Job: 0 Seed: 750056150
Job 0: Steps: 999 Time: 998 Rate: 2,307.15935
Job 0: Steps: 1998 Time: 1997 Rate: 13,684.93151
Job 0: Steps: 2997 Time: 2996 Rate: 18,163.63636
Job 0: Steps: 3996 Time: 3995 Rate: 17,839.28571
Job 0: Steps: 4995 Time: 4994 Rate: 19,588.23529
Job 0: Steps: 5994 Time: 5993 Rate: 18,500

I understand why you're concerned with speed--that's entirely appropriate given MASON's goals.  For me, it might not be the same kind of worry.  My comparison frameworks are NetLogo on one hand, and a special purpose, no-graphics ABM (pocpo2) that I wrote in Clojure.  (Popco2 is generally fast enough for me--an order of magnitude better than an earlier version).   I want to use MASON to write small ABMs--the kind of thing I'd write in NetLogo, and maybe to add some graphics to popco2.  I suspect that MASON in Clojure will still be faster than NetLogo, at least once I figure out how to best use it in Clojure, but if not, I can worry about optimizations.  Leaving some parts in Java is one option.

> 	STEP 1.  Port some examples to the language in a very "Java" like programming style, and see what needs to be done to make it efficient.  Here the objective is to verify that it is *possible* to target MASON from the language.

I guess I have started this, apart from the efficiency part.

> Our past experience has been that Clojure has some performance problems because we have to ref everything to get around the fact that multiagent simulation is very highly mutable.  It's not Clojure's strong point.

I'll be exploring what can be done functionally behind the imperative style of MASON.  I do think that imperative programming is natural for ABM, but I don't feel it's always required.  My popco2 is entirely functional apart from output, although there's imperative code behind the scenes within some functions.

Marshall