MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

January 2011

From:
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 19:13:11 -0500
Mike, what you want is to sort objects which are naturally Comparable
(they implement the Comparable interface).  Bag doesn't have that by
default, and it really ought to have it.  ArrayList can be sorted
because it's a List, but Bag isn't strictly a List.  Here's how you
can add it.  Add following method to the Bag code:

     /** Sorts the bag under the assumption that all objects stored
within are Comparable. */
     public void sort()
         {
         Arrays.sort(objs, 0, numObjs);
         }

This should sort them so that Comparable objects (like Double or
String) are arranged with lower-compared objects first in the list.
For example, if the Bag contains the doubles 9, 4, 10, it'll be
organized as 4, 9, 10.  I'll put out a revised version of Bag with
this method and one or two others on SVN.

Now if you're storing doubles, I suggest you also consider using
DoubleBag instead, which holds an array of doubles rather than an
array of Objects.  It has sort() already written for you.

Sean