MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

October 2009

From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:04:15 +0100
[Miles's message didn't appear to get through]

Thanks Miles.  A couple points:

- I gather from this that you would find "functional" (non-modifying)
style to be surprising.  This is interesting because it's not what I
would intuitively expect would be the hope of most coders.

- Deprecation is always an option.  If I went with option (A), I'd
probably consider deprecating certain methods in MutableDouble2D.  But
I've always tried to be very slow and conservative on MASON so as to
avoid having to deprecate much.

- You mentioned polymorphism, so I thought I'd mention that
interestingly Double2D and MutableDouble2D do not derive from one
another; and likewise similar other pairs in MASON (Int2D, Double3D,
Int3D)  The reason for this is straightforward: in both cases I want
users to be able to access the instance variables directly rather than
be required to use methods like getX() and setX(), which would *not*
be inlinable (indeed, non-inlinability s a major problem for the
java.awt.Point family as a result).  The problem is that Double2D
needs to have those variables final, while MutableDouble2D can't have
them final.  There's no way in Java to derive a class and change the
finality of certain instance variables.  It's plausible to make them
subclasses of the same interface I suppose.

Sean