MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

April 2013

From:
"Matt L. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 01:18:41 -0400
MASON has always gone a long way out of the way to make sure that implementers don't
accidentally do things that will compromise performance. That is certainly one of the great
strengths of the library. But as we attempt to do more complicated things, we reach a fork:
we can make things elegant and reasonably straightforward for the advanced coder but
allow greenhorns to shoot themselves in the feet, or we can make things complex and
difficult to implement, but ensure that no one is accidentally doing silly things. I think with
GeoMASON we have reached that fork and, indeed, moved past it.

Because, honestly, it is going to be just as hard for a new coder to figure out that he needs to
schedule an update to the spatial index as it would be to teach same coder not to
capriciously remove items from a structure that takes a long time to update. In fact, the new
coder may be adding extra time in any case by scheduling that regular update to the index
because he wants live updates. At the same time, perhaps we are making things a little hard
on the experienced coder, as well, because she expects MASON fields to stay up-to-date by
themselves, since they always have in the past.

Now, I do understand that updates to the QuadTree are quite expensive, so we might not
want to do them very often. In fact, I would perhaps suggest that one might want to lazily
schedule that update to the spatial index only when one has made an actual change to the
field contents.

However, I have an alternative suggestion: the REAL problem, I think, is that we're having to
put agents onto the GeoVector spaces instead of on more efficient, basic MASON grids or
continuous fields, if we want them to align to the underlying GIS landscape. Might it not be
more efficient to instead add an adapter class for the basic MASON fields that make them
symmetric with the Geo fields? That is, flip the y-axis and allow origins other than (0,0). Or
even add new functionality to the existing MASON fields so that they can be used
symmetrically with the Geo fields. That way, I believe the agents would show up in the
correct places, but we could do without the QuadTrees and use the much more efficient
MASON representation.

Just a (longwinded, as usual) thought.