MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

December 2012

From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 01:16:46 -0500
This will affect everyone.

Per earlier discussion regarding modifying and renaming grid methods, and after stomping various bugs, I've posted complete revisions to the grid neighborhood lookup functions.  All the old functions have been deprecated but they're still there.  They're rewritten to call the new ones however, so you may still be affected by any bugs lurking in the new code even if you use the old methods.

The methods have smarter names now, using terms like "Moore" instead of "MaxNeighborhood", and "VonNeumann" instead of "HamiltonianNeighborhood".  They also cleanly and specifically differentiate between Locations and Neighbors.  A Location is a coordinate in your region.  A Neighbor is an object or value stored at that coordinate.  There are a few new methods as well.  And a few Continuous methods have been renamed to be more consistent with the Locations versus Neighbors scheme.

The new grid methods now properly handle bounded, unbounded, and toroidal environments as appropriate, and can also disregard the origin location or objects stored there.

We've stomped various bugs (thanks to Ahmed Elmolla) but there may still be some lurking in the new code.  I have posted the new code out on SVN and need people to bang on it and report to me if you see any different behavior between the new code and the old code.  Remember you have to compare against an older version of MASON, not just the deprecated methods in the new version, because the deprecated methods have been rewired to call the new code internally.