MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

March 2013

From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2013 23:26:40 -0400
A jar file is basically a kind of zip file of a directory (in MASON, it'd be the 'sim' directory) with an additional file stored inside it called a "Manifest" which declares some facts about the contents of the jar file.  Notably, the Manifest can state which class gets launched if you execute the Jar file -- double click on it or whatnot.  You'd want that class to be your UI class.  For example, if you wanted to launch the Ant demo, you'd put sim.app.antsforage.AntsForageWithUI in there.

Thus a simple Manifest has just a single line:

	Main-Class: sim.app.antsforage.AntsForageWithUI

... and that's it!  So see if you can follow the procedure when doing "make jar" with the Makefile.  First, it compiles everything.  Then:

        touch /tmp/manifest.add
        rm /tmp/manifest.add
        echo "Main-Class: sim.display.Console" > /tmp/manifest.add
        jar -cvfm jar/mason.${VERSION}.jar /tmp/manifest.add `find . -name "*.class"` `find sim -name "*.jpg"` `find sim -name "*.png"` `find sim -name "*.pbm"` `find sim -name "index.html"` sim/display/simulation.classes sim/display/simulation.classes

The first three lines basically create a file called /tmp/Manifest.add which contains the one line above.  The fourth line gathers together all of the following in the 'sim' and 'ec' directories:

	- All class files
	- All jpg files
	- All png files
	- All pbm files
	- All index.html files
	- The files sim/display/simulation.classes and sim/display/simulation.classes

This stuff gets all bundled into a jar file, with a manifest copied from the /tmp/Manifest.add file you made.  And you're done.

Some notes:

1. As written above, the jar file would launch sim.display.Console, not sim.app.antsforage.AntsForageWithUI or whatnot.  sim.display.Console pops up the app-chooser window.  You can customize that window to only display your application by editing the sim/display/simulation.classes file to only have your application's UI class name (like sim.app.antsforage.AntsForageWithUI).

2. You could also replace sim.display.Console with your UI class name (like sim.app.antsforage.AntsForageWithUI) so it's directly launched, rather than popping up the chooser window first.

3. This jar file does NOT contain external libraries, notably jmf.jar, itext.jar, jcommon.jar, jfreechart.jar, etc.  If you want those facilities, you'll need to include those jar files in your application as well.

Sea