MASON-INTEREST-L Archives

December 2007

From:
Stephen Upton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:20:37 -0500
Hi Glen, et al.,

Another idea is to use JADE, or some other similar MAS (multi-agent
system). There is no simulation infrastructure since it was built as
middleware for constructing MAS's. However, the basics are there for
having agents on different machines, migration of agents,
communication between agents, etc.. It would be interesting if the
ABM community got together with the MAS community to share ideas, if
they haven't done so already. I haven't seen much. These agents are
typically more heavyweight than agents used in ABM/IBM's, e.g.,
having an expert system as a decision making component, but if you're
headed that route, it might be an avenue to look into.

I'd be curious if someone has attempted this. It's been on my back
burner for a while, just not enough critical mass to work on it
myself.. ;-(

BTW, for #2, we've been using Condor () and some software that
interfaces with design of experiment techniques to generate the
experiments, using XML as an input format for the ABM. The software
takes the experimental design via csv and, makes changes to the XML,
and then creates the jobs for Condor. As long as your input is in XML
and you have a command line executable, it works for pretty much any
ABM. We have it running for a MASON developed sim, Netlogo sims, and
some other military specific sims.

HTH
steve