HISTPHD-L Archives

April 2013

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2013 19:45:24 +0000
Yes, just to clarify, this has nothing to do with GAPSA and I was blindsided with this as well. (As if GAPSA has, would ever have or should ever have this kind of power - unlikely). This event (put on by a subcommittee of the school's Graduate Council, which is made up of deans/associate deans of every College along with a few others from the Registrar, University Life, etc and headed by the Associate Provost for Graduate Education - which is currently vacant, more about that below) was apparently intended for only graduate coordinators and only came to me through a rather round-about way (and accidentally I learned). I will write up something more detailed about the meeting and the proposal BUT a few things to set people's minds at ease for now until I have some time:

1. This was the FIRST of several meetings and points of contact for this proposal - I know the head of the subcommittee and he is a good guy, we are currently in the process of scheduling a Town Hall for late-April. There will also be a survey and other ways to make your voices heard.

2. The earliest that this proposal will be voted on by the Graduate Council will be late-2013 but most likely January 2014. The earliest this new system would be implemented is Fall 2014. And most importantly for those of us in the midst of our program, everyone here before Fall 2014 would be grandfathered in and would remain under the current 11 year limit (6 years to advance and 5 to finish your dissertation).

More about the details soon,
Steve

Steven A. Harris Scott