HISTPHD-L Archives

April 2013

HISTPHD-L@LISTSERV.GMU.EDU

From:
Randolph Scully <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randolph Scully <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2013 03:04:26 +0000
Apologies for the late notice, but I want to invite all graduate students to attend two important, related events on Monday, if you have not already heard about them.

1) The first is the Department Awards Ceremony and Reception, from 3-5pm in the Meese Conference Room in Mason Hall.

At the awards ceremony, Dr. Suzanne Smith with give a talk on her current research project. The talk is entitled, "The ‘Happy Am I’ Preacher: Elder Lightfoot Solomon Michaux and the Birth of Radio Evangelism."

You'll also have a chance to applaud the achievements of your fellow students, as both undergraduate and graduate award winners will be honored.

There will be a reception with food and drink following the awards ceremony and preceding the second event...

2) The second is of perhaps even more interest for graduate students, our annual M.A. Colloquium, from 5-7pm in the same room (Meese Conference Room in Mason Hall)

This program consists of four paper presentations by M.A. students of outstanding research that was done in 2012.

This year's presenters are:

Christina Regelski, "Fretted with Fire: The Spectacle of the Dreamland Fire"

Mark Cozad, "'Devillish Designs': Sacraments, Rebellion, and the English Revolution"

Daniel Curry, "Neversink, New York: A Small Town Re-Imagined"

Stephen Rusiecki, "A Crusade in Words: The U.S. Army's Print Media Campaign and Soldier Motivations in World War II"

These events are always a great deal of fun -- it's a wonderful chance to catch up with classmates from previous semesters, socialize, and engage with the very high quality work that M.A. students are doing in the program. I hope to see you there!

--
Randolph Scully
Associate Professor