ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

February 2011

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:18:17 -0500
I'm looking at the paper described below and I'm totally convinced
that it's not correct.  If "Cumulative Frequency" is to be taken as
"number of 100% correct solutions", then the values for Genetic
Programming in the Santa Fe Trail (Figure 5A) are absurdly high.  If
you do GP with 1000 individuals for about 50 runs, you'll get a
correct solution roughly once in 20 times.  As you can see, the
paper's values are *way* different from that.  Likewise, Symbolic
Regression does not have nearly the success rates given.  Did some
double-checking with lil-gp to make sure.

I am inclined to presume that what the paper meant, erroneously, was
some measure of fitness, maybe mean adjusted fitness (1/(1+f)).  Also
I note that Ant was run for 600 steps rather than 400, which should
perform somewhat better.  There's some history there: Koza ran for 600
timesteps but reported it as 400 incorrectly and most of the GP
literature is based on 400, which is why ECJ's default is 400 (as is
lil-gp's default).

Now just because this paper seems to have interpretation issues
doesn't mean that ECJ doesn't have bugs in the brand-new GE facility
or poor initial choices for parameter settings.  Our goal was to get
GE working properly and consistently, not to tune it.  So some
examination would be welcome!

Sean