ECJ-INTEREST-L Archives

October 2008

From:
Robert Baruch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:13:52 -0400
Hi all,

I have a single subpopulation (later I'll work with more than one),
using SimpleEvaluator. My Problem is a SimpleProblemForm. After all of
the individuals in a subpop have been evaluated, I need to adjust
their fitnesses by a factor that depends on the original fitnesses and
sizes of all the individuals in the subpop [I'm using the covar(L,F)/
var(L) idea from Poli & McPhee 2008].

When I wasn't using Master/Slave, I could just put the calculation in
my Problem's finishEvaluating method.

However, with Master/Slave, my Problem's finishEvaluating method isn't
called. The documentation (in ec/eval/README) implies that it should
be called:

"When SimpleEvaluator calls finishEvaluating, the
remaining individuals are sent out as a (possibly short) job, and then
the MasterProblem blocks waiting until all the individuals have come
back."

Where should I stick the fitness adjustment code?

Thanks,

--Rob